=> Defensive Email
[Formatted for Printing]
||From the personal web site of
Defensive Email Links
- Deceptive New Phishing Scams by Steve Bass
February 3, 2006
Not to Get Hooked by a ‘ Phishing’ Scam from the FTC (June 2005).
- Digital PhishNet is a joint enforcement initiative between industry and law enforcement
to ensnare those perpetrating phishing attacks
- How to tell friend from fraud when e-mail smells
'phishy' by Mike Himowitz in the Baltimore Sun. February 3, 2005
- New Netcraft Toolbar Blocks Phishing, Analyzes Web Sites
By Larry Seltzer in eWeek December 30, 2004
- Top Phish of the Week
PC Magazine December 14th, 2004
- Phishing' attacks rocket in November
December 15, 2004 CNET News.com
- Ex-U.S. cyber security chief sees curb on phishing
Reuters December 9, 2004
- Don't be reeled in by phishing con artists and other Internet swindlers
by Eileen Ambrose in the Baltimore Sun October 10, 2004
- Phishers hooking bigger catches
By Mike Langberg in the Mercury News October 8, 2004. Covers some of the
most serious dangers of phishing scams.
- Spotting Phish and Phighting Back
By Larry Seltzer in eWeek August 2, 2004. About Phishing scams based on
political fund raising.
- Microsoft Pitches Into Phishing Battle
By TechWeb News July 22, 2004
- Opting into Identity Theft
by Lance Ulanoff in PC Magazine July 21, 2004
- New Phishing Technique Works on Multiple Browsers
By Larry Seltzer in eWeek July 19, 2004
- What you need to know about phishing
from Microsoft Published: May 27, 2004 Updated: July 8, 2004
- Phishing Attacks Linked To Organized Crime
Tactics Growing More Sophisticated by Michael Cohn, Security Pipeline
July 7, 2004
- Banks Say, 'Phishing Season Is Over'
By Brian Livingston in Datamation June 29, 2004
- Booming Web Scam
Phishing is on the rise: Don't get tricked into divulging personal information
online. Steve Bass. PC World June 9, 2004
- Consumer Advice: How to Avoid Phishing Scams
from the Anti-Phishing Working Group
- Phishing scam reports skyrocket in April
IDG News Service May 18, 2004. Financial services and retail companies were hit particularly hard
- Phishing Scam Hits 57 Million Users
NewsFactor Network May 7, 2004 Phishing is an economical fraud. There is a low risk of getting
caught and a high reward.
- Hackers grab IE's address bar
By Brian Livingston in his Brian's Buzz newsletter May 6, 2004. A new
wrinkle on phishing.
- Phish This, You Scum
By Brian Livingston in Datamation May 3, 2004
- Treasury, IRS Warn of Identity Theft Scheme Involving Bogus E-mail, Web site
IRS Press Release April 30, 2004
- Gone Phishing—Yet Another Scam!
By John C. Dvorak in PC Magazine April 13, 2004
- Phishing con hijacks browser bar
BBC News April 8, 2004. Scammers are using increasingly sophisticated methods to trick people into handing over personal information.
- Companies sharpen tech tools to counter scams
Associated Press April 2, 2004. As phishing proliferates, companies are sharpening technological tools to counter them.
March 31, 2004 from antiphishing.org
- Phishing for Identity
Information Enterprise Security Today March 25, 2004
- Online Swindlers, Called
'Phishers,' Lure Unwary New York Times March 24, 2004
- Report: Phishing attacks on the rise
By Kevin Poulsen, SecurityFocus March 19 2004
- SSL Phishing Scam
from SANS. March 4, 2004. Despite the lock icon on the status bar of your
web browser, you could still be at the web site of a scammer and data
entered might not be encrypted.
- A report
on phishing from the U.S. Department of Justice is intended to acquaint you
with the warning signs of fraudulent email messages
- PayPal Warns Its Customers To Safeguard Personal Data
Phony E-Mails Sent to Get Credit Card Numbers. Washington Post March 16,
- Don't get suckered by e-hoaxes
USA Today March 4, 2004
- Latest phishing scam most "devious" ever
ZDNet Australia March 3, 2004. Mentions phony certificates; can't trust
- Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 833786
February 2004 Steps that you can take to help identify and to help protect yourself from deceptive (spoofed) Web sites and malicious hyperlinks.
Fight phishing. Probably too techie for many readers.
- Global computer fraud probe ignited by latest e-mail scam
Orlando Sentinel January 27, 2004. Recipients told of loss of FDIC coverage
- How to avoid the phishing bug
by Bill Thompson of BBC news January 23, 2004.
- Don't Get Hooked By 'Phishing'
the Washington Post January 20, 2004
- How to protect yourself from e-mail scams
by Robert Vamosi ZDNet January 19, 2004
- Anti-spam law could worsen the problem
by Mike Himowitz Baltimore Sun January 1, 2004
- Internet Explorer
URL Spoofing Vulnerability by Patrick Crispen. An explanation of how
when you click on a link in an email message, you might not end up at the
web site you expected to.
- Warning: Look Out for the eBay Scam
PC Magazine December 3, 2003
- Phishing For Suckers by
David Strom Web Informant #351. November 19, 2003
- Phish Bait
How to Stay on Top of E-Mail Scams by Brendan I. Koerner in the
Village Voice November 12, 2003
- "Phishing" Is Foul on the Net
About fraudulent email messages. Business Week magazine October 21, 2003
- Outsmart Scammers
Don't let phishers reel you in with counterfeit e-mail and sites. PCWorld.com October 20, 2003
- Another eBay scam fishes for bank details
ZDNet Australia October 6, 2003
- When crooks go
a-phishing, don't bite ZDNet. September 29, 2003
- Worm Wears A Patch For Disguise
The Washington Post September 21, 2003
- Email scams via links = Phishing
Woody's Windows Watch newsletter July 24, 2003
- 'Phishing' scams reel in your identity
Feds pursue culprits, warn consumers CNN July 22, 2003
- FBI Warns of Spike in Identity Thefts
IDG News Service July 21, 2003. Email messages, spoof sites often used to lure
- Bank Scams, Best Buy Scams, eBay Scams
July 9, 2003. Scambusters.com
- How Not to Get Hooked by a 'Phishing' Scam
Internet scammers casting about for people's financial information have a new way to lure unsuspecting victims: They go "phishing."
From the Federal Trade Commission July 2003
- Virus Hoaxes and the Real Dangers They Pose
Security Focus web site March 25, 2003
- Nigerian Advance Fee Fraud Overview
from the US Secret Service
- The Anti-Phishing Working Group www.antiphishing.org
has information about
of phishing, e-mail, and identity fraud
- Report phishing emails to email@example.com
- Your National Resource for Identity Theft
from the Federal Trade Commission
- Scamsafe.com has
news and information for fighting identity theft, consumer fraud and protecting personal credit.
- If you think an email message might be a hoax, check these web sites:
- Antispam Tools: Can They Keep Up?
By Neil J. Rubenking in PC Magazine July 9, 2004. Reviews of MailFrontier Desktop
4, ChoiceMail One 2.52, iHateSpam 4.04, Spam Shredder 1.5 and SpamBully 2.0
- PC Magazine on anti-spam software
News Full Coverage on SPAM and Junk Email
- Spam solutions - Our Favorite Blockers - Ella for Spam Control
from the Woody's EMAIL Essentials newsletter. May 11, 2004
- Getting Rid of "Spam" ..and Other E-mail Pests
by Randy Cassingham at spamprimer.com. Somewhat introductory.
- Cognitive Rascal in the Amorous
Swamp: A Robot Battles Spam By George Johnson in the New York Times. April 27, 2004.
About SpamProbe, an anti-spam product based on Bayesian interference.
- Understanding spam blocking technologies
from the Woody's EMAIL Essentials newsletter. April 1, 2004
- In e-mail warfare, the spammers are winning
The Baltimore Sun March 14, 2004. Quite a long article.
- Mailblocks Will Keep Your Mail
Spam-Free, Without the Guesswork By Walter Mossberg in the Wall Street
Journal February 19, 2004
filters grab good with bad Wired January 19, 2004
- Well-guarded e-mail address, filters are best spam defense
by Mike Himowitz Baltimore Sun January 8, 2004
Mailbox by Walter Mossberg in the Wall Street Journal November 13, 2003. A
reader asks: Do you have a good recommendation for a spam blocker?
- Spam Slayer: Ten Tips and Tricks
How to spam-proof your inbox. PCWorld.com. November 24, 2003
- Spam Solutions: Good Enough, but Not Perfect
PC Magazine November 11, 2003. Reviews McAfee SpamKiller 5.0, Norton AntiSpam 2004
and some Enterprise Spam Tools.
People buying tickets online through Ticketmaster may be surprised to find themselves receiving spam as an encore.
CNET News.com August 6, 2003
- Kill Spam With Your Own Two Hands
by Stephen Manes, Forbes magazine. June 23, 2003 issue. A must read. An
overview of various anti-spam techniques and short reviews of anti-spam
programs. His favorite was Matador.
- The Quest to Block Spam
It's possible but not simple Newsday by Lou Dolinar June 23, 2003
- Cutting Spam Down To Size
Forbes magazine June 4, 2003. About SpamAssassin.
- Are Filters the Way to Stop Spam?
PC World magazine May 26, 2003. One expert says yes, one says no.
- Unsuspecting Computer Users Relay Spam
The New York Times. May 20,2003. Page one. By Saul Hansell. Spammers are
increasingly sending their messages covertly through the computers of home and
office Internet users. The users are often unaware that their computers have
- SpamBayes, a free, Open Source spam blocker, does a superb job
Sept. 21, 2003 By Al Fasoldt
- SpamBayes knows spam
By Jon Udell May 16, 2003 InfoWorld magazine. A must read. Ella ($30
from openfieldsoftware.com) functions much the same. It learns from examples of mail you've already
received and supports a category between spam and not spam.
- SpamBayes home page. (Alternate
- Paul Graham has been leading the effort on Bayesian algorithm antispam
solutions. He has published two articles on the subject: A
Plan for Spam and Better
- Winning the War on spam: Comparison of Bayesian spam filters
A review of SpamBayes and POPFile. By Kristian Eide August 2003
- Finding Solution to Secret World of Spam.
The New York Times. May 5, 2003. Saul Hansell. About the various SPAM legislation.
- Spammers and virus writers unite
As companies tackle spam, the number of insecure internet relays available for spammers to use is diminishing.
This has driven some of them to create virus-like programs that take over your
email account and use it to funnel SPAM messages. Like many other viruses these programs exploit weaknesses in
Microsoft Outlook. BBC News April 30, 2003
- Internet Is Losing Ground in Battle Against Spam
The New York Times. April 22, 2003. Page one. By Saul Hansell. An excellent overview of the problem. Not available for free.
- A New Way to Can E-mail Spam
Fortune Magazine. April 15, 2003
Cloudmark is about to release SpamNet which claims to eliminate 90% of junk
e-mail by harnessing peer-to-peer technology to broaden its filtering mechanism. Users hit the "block" button whenever they
receive spam, and after that the unwanted e-mail is rejected by any computer loaded with SpamNet software.
The value of the network increases exponentially with the number of people who
join it. About 350,000 people have downloaded the software since it became available
in the summer of 2002 and it's gotten some good reviews.
- How to Trim the "Spam" from Your E-Mail Diet.
Tips for Reducing and Managing Junk E-Mail. March 20, 2003. From Microsoft.
- Why Am I Getting All This Spam? Unsolicited Commercial E-mail Research Report from the
Center for Democracy & Technology. March 2003
- Study suggests spam-stopping tricks
CNET News.com March 19, 2003. Keep your email address off of web sites
- Why Are You Getting So Much Spam? PC World March 19, 2003.
Find out where spammers get your address and how you can hide it.
- Slam the Spam
PC Magazine. February 25, 2003. Reviews of 16 personal and corporate anti-spam products
Plague on E-Mail So Much for the Self-Healing, Self-Governing Net. Spam Has Defeated It.
What Is to Be Done? By James Gleick. First published in the New York Times Magazine
February 9, 2003.
- Wage War on Spam With Old Tools and New Filters PC World February 2003
An introduction to creating filters in Outlook, Outlook Express and Mozilla
- When Everything Was Spam to
ISP. An overly-sensitive spam filter caused a week-long blockade that resulted in
non-delivery of some email messages sent to EarthLink subscribers in late October 2002.
- Spam filters revealing their darker
side. Efforts to eradicate spam are creating collateral damage as network executives find that aggressive filters can block receipt
of legitimate mail and create uncertainty over successful delivery. Network World Magazine. September 9,2002.
- The Washington Post has a
section of their web site devoted to SPAM
- Fight Spam On The Internet web site devoted to fighting spam
- The Wall Street Journal groups their SPAM articles at wsj.com/Junkmail (for subscribers only)
- The Spam Slayer
column in PC World by Tom Spring is devoted to SPAM
- Federal Trade Commission on SPAM EMAIL
- Email and SPAM from TomCat Internet Solutions
- Downloadable spam
blocking programs from PC World Magazine
- Scot Finnie's Newsletter ran many
articles on anti-spam programs
- The Challenge-Response Approach
- Avoiding SPAM in the first place
- False "FROM" Addresses
- Paranoia: The Best Defense Against E-Mail Attacks
by Scott Spanbauer PC World magazine, January 26, 2005. Quoting: "If you keep just this one thing in mind, you'll protect yourself from the majority of e-mail attacks: Assume any message could be malicious."
- Description of how the Attachment Manager works in Windows XP Service Pack 2 Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 883260.
An awful lot of trouble just for attachments.
- They know you've got mail Charles Arthur On Technology July 28, 2004
About web bugs in email messages
- You've Got... Options
by Walter Mossberg in the Wall Street Journal. June 2004. Four ways to get
AOL email without using AOL software.
- Is One-Fourth of Your E-Mail Getting Lost?
by Brian Livingston in Datamation. April 19, 2004. Most major ISPs shunt into end users' Junk Mail folders — or simply delete — about one-quarter of the corporate opt-in communications that their customers have requested.
to Stay on Guard and Off the Hook New York Times March 24, 2004
- What You Should Know About Mass Mailer Worms
from Microsoft. Last Updated: March 19, 2004. Has information on security
features in Outlook and Outlook Express
- Pursuing e-mail freedom? Let me show you the way
By Mike Langberg Mercury News March 8, 2004
- E-Mail Virus Points to Human Flaws
AP January 28, 2004. About MyDoom
filtering in Outlook Express 6 BlackViper.com. Last Update November 9,
- How to Tell If a Microsoft Security-Related
Message Is Genuine from Microsoft September 19, 2003
- About web
bugs in HTML email messages. The Internet Tourbus. Patrick Crispen. May 1, 2003.
- Using Virus Protection Features in Outlook Express 6
- Some tips on configuring
Outlook Express for best security
- Test your email
defenses This site will send you an email with a .VBS attachment
| Created: December 22, 2005
|| Last Updated: February 7, 2006 |
||michael at michaelhorowitz.com
Printed at: December 11, 2013 1:55am ET
Viewed 7,846 times since May 26, 2010 (6/day over 1,294.3 days)